Motivational interviewing in housing and homeless assessment
This course merges the counselling and communication principles of motivational interviewing and collaborative conversations with the practicalities of making assessments and delivering services to stop or prevent homelessness.
By the end of this course participants will have developed an understanding and confidence in using the principles of motivational interviewing and collaborative conversation to enable high quality assessments.
Who is this course for?
All Local Authority staff involved in the homeless assessment process.
What will you learn?
By the end of the course participants will:
- Know the theory, philosophy and spirit underpinning motivational interviewing.
- Know an applicable range of models of change.
- Have reviewed the key communication skills necessary to successfully use a motivational interviewing approach.
- Understand and be able to apply the principes of collaborative conversations to the assessment process to support better outcomes.
- Know the pitfalls of motivational interviewing and how they can be avoided.
- Understand how motivational interviewing could be applied to the homeless assessment process.
- Describe the principle reasons clients are reluctant or ambivalent to engage with the assessment or services.
- Have made an outline personal action plan to implement the learning.
- Have practiced a range of skills including:
- Reflective listening
- Rapport building
Costs (in-house training)
This course can be booked in-house for a team of up to 16.
Associate members: £1,840
Share this page
Talk To Us
James is our training manager (maternity cover) develops and manages Homeless Link's in-house training programme.
17 Jul 2018 - 11:03am
16 Jul 2018 - 11:21am
28 Jun 2018 - 4:31pm