Specialist Health and Wellbeing Manager
More than 90% of the homeless people living in our hostels (known as customers) require significant support on top of their basic housing needs. Many customers have to deal with underlying trauma and mental health, relating to their homelessness and have highly complex needs. They often lack the resources to manage their anger, relate to others, deal with problems in a constructive way and seek help with health problems. We have found that people with complex needs are also less likely to engage with mainstream services.
The Psychological Wellbeing programme is funded through our partnership with the Big Lottery. This 3 year funded programme focuses the attention on moving people through recovery by providing a range of psychological and therapeutic approaches and tools. The programme is made up of a Specialist Health and Wellbeing Manager and two Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners (PWP’s), who will work directly with our customers across all our services. The programme also includes a Volunteer Peer Coordinator and six Wellbeing Peer Advisors (WPA’s), who will be made up of current customers in Evolve.
The service will contribute to long-term positive outcomes for customers by addressing the underlying trauma behind their mental health challenges. The PWPs will enable customers to develop healthy coping skills and an understanding of their behaviour which they can take forward after they have left our services. Customers will be supported by the WPAs to have a better understanding of available health services and can access these before any conditions worsen.
The project will also have a lasting impact through the upskilling of the Wellbeing Peer Advisors, who will gain transferable skills and confidence through volunteering. We hope this opportunity will further enable them to move on from their own experiences of homelessness and give them the motivation needed to care for their own health into the future.
Provide supervision for two Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners and one Volunteer Peer Coordinator.
Assist with the setup of the programme including producing literature, making connections, staffing, reporting and developing the procedures needed for the programme.
Liaise and remain in regular communication with the Area Manager, Central and Community Services to ensure that any issues, difficulties or concerns are communicated so that staff, volunteers and customers receive sufficient support and the service maintains a high quality.
Work with customers to co-produce workshops, events and the wider programme to ensure we deliver the right things to the right people.
Communicate any concerns regarding confidentiality and/or safeguarding regarding staff, volunteers or customers immediately according to Evolves policies.
- Oversee the Psychological Wellbeing Programme within the Health and Wellbeing Team
- Undertake management supervision of the Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners and Volunteer Peer Coordinator including managing caseloads, monitoring performance and development.
- Organise and deliver SMART recovery meetings.
- Promote the service to external agencies.
- Liaise with Clinical Supervisors to provide clinical supervision of the Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners.
- Coordinate and deliver a programme of health and wellbeing workshops aimed at raising awareness of mental health issues and promoting strategies for self-management.
- Develop relationships with key statutory and other mental health providers, along with other providers to support the recovery of our customers.
- Design a monitoring framework for the Specialist Health + Wellbeing programme.
- Work with customers to develop the service and respond to feedback.
- Work in partnership with services across all boroughs Evolve Housing + Support supports its customers. Provide support and guidance to team mangers, team leaders and support staff in promotion, referral pathways and identifying customers for the programme.
- Provide training to other services, through the development of both subject and team specific training on a range of issues that support our customers.
- Provide oversight of the Volunteer Wellbeing Peer Advisors programme
- Oversight of recruitment of volunteers with Volunteering Peer Coordinator, including interviewing and inducting volunteers.
- Manage referral process and create robust systems to enable tight management of the project. Manage database of customers and track progress and outcomes.
- Work with colleagues in Community and Central Services team and wider organisation to embed the work of the programme both internally and externally to key stakeholders.
- Work with colleagues across the organisation and central office to develop future fundraising and continuation funding applications.
- Support events that reward or recognise volunteers for their contribution to the project.
- Organise events that celebrate volunteers and customers commitment to the process, providing activities to keep them engaged, and provide new opportunities to be stretched and developed.
- Manage budgets and work with Area Manager and finance to develop future budgets.
- Work with Area Manager to develop work plan that incorporates corporate and operational work plan
- Develop reporting mechanisms and have oversight of monitoring framework in line with organisational recommendations.
- Attend all staff meetings, supervision and training as required and work at other locations as and when required. Flexible working may be required including evenings and weekends where required
This job description provides an indication of the roles and responsibilities for the post of Specialist Health and Wellbeing Manager, but should not be construed as an exclusive list of the duties that the post holder may be asked to undertake.
All staff must act in accordance with the aims of Evolve and promote and implement Evolves Equality and Diversity Policy, Equal Opportunities Policy, Code of Conduct and all other polices adopted by the Board.
Evolve reserves the right to amend this role profile as necessary, after consultation with the post holder, to reflect changes in or to the role.
Any other duties within the scope of the post as directed by the Area Manager for Central + Community services.
Role Experience, Knowledge and Skills Profile
Specialist Health and Wellbeing Manager
Experience & qualifications
- Relevant professional qualification (Counselling, Therapeutic, or other relevant area of work)
- Experience of managing a service for people with complex needs
- Experience of managing others working with people with mental health issues and additions
- Experience in managing, or delivering programmes using psychological or therapeutic frameworks
- Experience of delivering supervision
- Experience of working with addictions
- Experience of working with funders and reporting schedules
- Membership of professional body (desirable)
- Experience in managing volunteers
- Experience in co-production and developing programmes that respond to change and need
- Experience in delivering training, workshops to a range of staff and customers
- Knowledge of the issues facing homeless people.
- Knowledge of mental health issues, diagnosis and treatment options, as well as referral pathways
- Detailed knowledge of child, adolescent and adult stages of development and their attendance issues
- Detailed understanding of safeguarding practices for children and adults
- Knowledge of psychological and therapeutic approaches and frameworks
- An understanding of best practice with regards to supporting people with mental health issues, coupled with the ability to put this into practice
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to supervise and motivate volunteers effectively and to promote good team work.
- Ability to organise and prioritise own workload to ensure work is delivered effectively and to deadlines
- Ability to use Microsoft Office applications